About The School
The School of Health Sciences and Technology (SHST) is located in N-Block and is part of the Faculty of Applied Science and Technology. The School of Health Sciences and Technology is composed of the following Departments:
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology.
- Department of Biomedical Sciences and Technology.
- Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Department of Community and Public Health.
The mandate of the School Of Health Sciences and Technology is consistent with that of the Technical University of Kenya. Central to this mandate is providing solid training that is practical in nature, and of international standard. Industry-based learning is core to our training programs within the school. The training inculcates vital skills in innovation and technology, and management. In addition, the training within the school prepares students very well for postgraduate studies beyond this country. The professional programs within the School are accredited by relevant national organizations. The curricula within the school have been subjected to extensive review and consultations with stakeholders, and approved by the University Senate.
Currently the school has certificate, diploma and degree programs within the various departments. The school is in the process of mounting postgraduate programs in Nutrition and dietetics, Biomedical Sciences and Public health. A number of students are enrolled and pursuing PhD programs in the school. The Academic staff within the School are engaged in multi-disciplinary research and collaborations. This is vital in expanding our contribution to health research, training and development. Research at high level in addition to teaching constitutes an important mandate for the School.
The school has a repertoire of highly trained staff doing research and teaching in the various departments. As a school, we shall always strive to be the best and have positioned ourselves to be future leaders in Health Research, Technology and Innovation.
Statement about the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Technology
- The Department of Biomedical of Science and Technology will continuously improve the quality of learning and prepare the students for successful future careers.
Statement about the Department of Community and Public Health
- The objectives of the Department of Community and Public Health are to provide quality support to students, to foster ethical workplace attitudes and behaviors, to encourage staff and students to be team players and inventors, and to contribute to the body of knowledge of Community and Public Health through scholarly activity and research.
Statement about the Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- The Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics offers excellent training to Nutritionists and Dieticians. We use science to promote healthy eating habits for both preventive and curative management of nutritional disorders. Diet therapy, nutritional research, counseling and education are all within the realm of the nutrition and dietetic profession.
Statement about the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology
- The department of pharmaceutical sciences and technology aims to:
- Provide quality technological pharmaceutical education that enhances creativity and innovation.
- Continuously improve the quality of teaching, learning and process efficiency.
- Attract, retain and motivate high calibre academic staff.